Sensory activities are a great opportunity for toddlers and preschoolers to learn. The free play allows for independent growth in addition to supporting language development, cognitive growth, motor skills, problem solving skills, and social interaction.
Sometimes it can feel like a daunting task to set up these sensory activities. This cloud dough is a simple recipe that can be used for a wide variety of sensory setups, and is easy to pack away and save.
Cloud Dough Recipe
- 2 Cups Cornstarch
- 2 Cups Cocoa Power
- 16 Ounces Conditioner
- Mix the cornstarch and cocoa powder together in a large bowl
- Add in conditioner and mix
- If you want a more dough like consistency, add more conditioner or a little olive oil.
- Store in an airtight container
Cloud Dough Cupcakes
This is a fun and creative activity. I included a variety of toppings to top the cupcakes with. At the end of the activity, I just scooped the toppings out to allow us to reuse the cloud dough.
- Silicone Cupcake Liners
- Chocolate Cloud Dough
- Rainbow Rice
- Fruit Loops
- Oatmeal with biodegradable glitter
- Scoops, bowls, and spoons
- Grapat Mandala Cones
Cloud Dough Garden
Bookish play is always a lot of fun and brings life to books. For this Cloud dough garden we combined the book Up In The Garden and Down In The Dirt with a cloud dough garden. We also included these beautiful 3 inch resin letters from Rainbow Play Co.
We used various loose parts as items in the garden and allowed free play. It was fun to observe as Lily played. She used the resin letters as stamps and as a model to practice writing in the cloud dough.
- Cloud Dough
- Up In The Garden and Down In The Dirt
- Resin Letters ( The code playroom15 will save you 15%)
- Grapat Mandalas
Cloud Dough Construction Site
Construction play is newer at our house but both kids had a blast. The PlanToys bulldozer was a lot of fun to fill and empty while transporting the cloud dough. Additionally, the setup was so quick!
- Cloud Dough
- Guidecraft Sand and Water Table
- PlanToys Bulldozer
- Cardboard painted black for a road
- Guidecraft Branch Blocks
- Orange construction paper rolled into cones
This chocolate cloud dough has found to be so versatile! I hope you found this useful, happy playing!